Friday, February 15, 2013

Welsh Pale Ale tasting

OK. I have to admit. I wasn't terribly excited about this beer. It's a weird idea to me: get rid of the bitterness, back end the hops for aroma and flavor, and use a generic malt profile, save for special UK malt (I used Tipple). What could be so special?
Holy shit.
I brewed this with a higher ABV the first time (1.060) and it was decent. I lowered my OG to 1.045 and added some knockout and dry hops and the result is amazing. Much more complexity. I intend to increase both next time to accentuate the unique grassy, lemony end notes and take this from a killer beer to an irresistible beer.
Enjoyed from a growler straight from the tap.
Oh, also had a wonderful meal with my family and girlfriend.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

That's a nice looking beer. And some nice looking bread in the background...