Tuesday, January 1, 2013

1/1/2013 Brews

Upcoming brews:

House Hefeweizen
After spending three days in Munich, Germany, I have been convinced that a house hefeweizen is in order. The Bavarians enjoy their weißbiers with just about every meal and I'd like to have some on hand at all times. My first weißbier, brewed in summer of 2012, was pretty good, so I plan to brew another with the same recipe on my 10 gallon rig. I may be convinced to change the process a bit to add a decoction mash, rather than use a light crystal malt to achieve color and complexity. My instinct right now is to keep it simple and get a baseline beer that I can adjust.

The first Hefeweizen, on the right.

Maibock
I've got some Pilsener malt and I want to make a bock beer. No real ideas as of yet. Looking forward to researching the style and building a recipe.

DIPA
I've made good IPAs, but I've never brewed an imperial IPA for myself. I also want to use some hops that I've yet to use, especially the newer ones notorious for tropical and citrus notes like Galaxy, Citra, Galena, and Simcoe. 

Welsh Pale Ale
My family devoured this beer. It's a really interesting style that differs greatly from English Bitters. It emphasizes hop aroma and flavor, rather than bitterness. The end result is a really crisp, drinkable, grassy pint. Looking to adjust the recipe slightly to make it less ABV and bump up the aroma hops even more.

No comments: